Wednesday, September 9, 2015

My Singing Boy

Most 16-year-old boys won't sing, and my Nathan won't usually sing when anyone else is singing, but if he is by himself--just listen to him go! Tonight I sat down at the piano and played children's songs like "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes," "The Wise Man and the Foolish Man," "If You're Happy and You Know It..." Every song I played, Nathan happily sang all the words. It was a sweet moment.

Of course, I dramatically clapped for him at the end of each song, and he usually wanted to sing his favorite part of the song over and over and over. But, that is what kids with autism do.

I just felt blessed that we were interacting and having a great time together. It isn't like I can sit down and ask him about his day or have him tell me what he wants to do when he graduates from high school. No, that will never happen with my Nathan, but I am satisfied by little moments like this where we interact in a fun way.

No comments:

Post a Comment