Tuesday, September 29, 2015

"No" To Everything!

Everything is "NO" this morning. Today is a super-late start at the High School because of a Pre-ACT being administered. Do you have any idea what this change of schedule does to kids on the autism spectrum? Yes, I have had it written on my calendar for several weeks now...but I feel like I am at my wits end with what to do with Nathan this morning.

I figured I would do a "summer schedule" morning for him where we go biking, take a shower, read a book on tape, then do a puzzle. These are things he happily did in the summer or even on Saturday or Sunday. But "NO, MOM this isn't the summer or the weekend," (I'm sure that is what he would tell me if he could communicate) so why in the world would I give him these choices?

I finally got him to take a shower (very unhappily) and he is now sitting in the car after throwing a tantrum and refusing to do everything on the list. He wants me to take him to school...sigh! I can't do that until about an hour from now.

He keeps telling me "2:00. Time to go home." I translate this to, "I think it is time for me to go home from school now and do the things I do after school." Sigh!

Well, wish me luck! It can only get better from here on out...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment