Monday, February 29, 2016

It Wasn't For Him

I heard a story at church this weekend that really resonated with me. Elder Durham told the story of his dad who struggled with MS the latter part of his life. To help their mom, the adult kids in the family would take turns helping their dad at night so she could get a good night's sleep every few days. One night as he was helping his suffering father, Elder Durham said he prayed to God and asked why this had happened to his dad. His dad was a great man who had been faithful to God his whole life. He'd been a great father and husband. Why had this happened to him? Then, the answer came powerfully to him, "It wasn't for him."

Sometimes trials aren't for the sufferer--they are growing opportunities for those who serve them. I think we become more like God as we serve selflessly--it changes us. I know that having two kiddos on the autism spectrum has molded me to be a better person. I don't think I would have ever chosen this "path," but I am thankful to God for what I have learned along my life's detours and the wonderful earthly angels I have met along the way.
#ItWasntForHim #service

No comments:

Post a Comment