Monday, January 19, 2015

A Penny For His Thoughts

Have you ever wondered why a child with autism is thinking?  As a mother of two kids on the autism spectrum, this has certainly crossed my mind.  Sometimes my son Nathan will just burst out laughing and I have found myself wishing I could peek into his mind and see what was so funny.

My high-functioning son, Jacob, drew this picture over a year ago when he was 11.  He is my little cartoonist, so it is quite funny to see the expressions on some of the "ideas" that he drew.  This picture was my first peek into what really happens in his brain.  The picture shows how sometimes kiddos with autism have multiple thoughts happening at the same time and they have to figure out what they want to try to focus on.  Notice that some of the "ideas" are crossed out.  That was his way of deciding what he was going to think about.

So, there it is.  I finally got my peek inside the brain of one of my kiddos.  A penny for your thoughts?

#autism #thoughts #drawingofkidwithautism #pennyforyourthoughts

No comments:

Post a Comment