Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Why I Wear Tennis Shoes Every Day

You will never catch me in a pair of 4 inch heels or pointy-toed shoes.  In fact, if you happened to look down at my feet almost any day of the year, you will most likely find me wearing a pair of tennis shoes or Crocs (in the summer).  I must quickly confess that I am extremely practical when it comes to shoes and that I don't wear them if I'm not comfortable in them!  

Yes, I realize that tennis shoes are not the most stylin' shoes, but I have never been the most style-conscious person.  Even when I was a teenager I did try to dress nicely but my family wasn't very well-to-do, so we didn't have the money to buy all those expensive name brand clothes or shoes.  I dressed nicely, but learned to live frugally.  This has served me well as I have "grown-up," gotten married and tried to take care of the needs of my family on a budget.  

In my mind, there are things that are much more important than having the newest and trendiest clothes. What I think is really important is what a person is like on the inside.  I have found that true worth and confidence comes from knowing and living like who we really are:  A son or daughter of God.  Knowing this has given me an inner confidence that cannot be bought with name brand clothes or pointy-toed shoes. Because I believe and know that I am a daughter of God, I have come to realize that all that stuff on the outside doesn't matter as much.  Isn't it neat to know that we can each be awesome without blowing the budget?!

I have learned that the most important thing I can put on every day is that light that comes from being close to God and knowing Him.  Prayer and personal scriptures study have been my keys to developing this confidence and knowledge that I am His child and that He loves me and you!

So, when you look at my comfortable and practical shoes, realize that this is how I prefer to run through life.  I have kids to chase and things to do that match my practical shoes.  I can love and lift and serve with tennis shoes on and that is okay.  

Let's all resolve to look a little closer at the people we meet and see beyond the shoes and the clothes to what really matters--who they are inside: divine sons and daughters of God.  Let's teach by example that God is more important than the things of this world.

2 comments:

  1. HAha! I think I have never seen you wearing anything but tennis shoes. I have to wear tennis shoes much of the time, as well, but that's because I have super weird old lady feet which hurt most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No worries on the "old lady feet.' You're still young my friend!

    ReplyDelete