Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Routines

I remember the day Nathan was diagnosed with autism being told that kiddos on the spectrum crave routines. I was overwhelmed by that because I was not a "routine-type" person. In fact, I love being spontaneous! What I came to understand was that I did not suddenly have to change who I was, but there was a gradual change.

Summers were the hardest with the lack of a school routine. Mind you, Nathan has gone to summer school, but it is not all day nor all summer--just a few days a week for 2-3 hours. I found summer was my hardest time to keep Nathan happy and entertain my other three children. When the kids were younger I finally had to hire a young woman from our church congregation to help me "babysit" all summer (even though I was right there at home) because I couldn't do it all by myself.

This week I thought I'd share some of the things I've done to help my kiddos on the spectrum and my typical kiddos get into a routine for the summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment