Tuesday, February 17, 2015

Braving an Outing

The other night I had to go pick up a picture I was having framed at a craft store.  Everyone was gone that evening except for Nathan and I.  So, he was my buddy.  Before we can go anywhere (that isn't scheduled) I have to let Nathan know where we are going, but I can't do that verbally (because he doesn't always understand what I tell him verbally).  So, I wrote on a piece of paper that we were going to the store to get a picture for daddy.  He said, "Yes," and off we went.

Nathan was in a happy mood, so he skipped into the craft store. When we got back to the framing area, the lady told me she was just finishing up with our picture, so we had to wait about 5 minutes. Nathan is not so great on waiting, so I started distracting him by asking him to name things that I pointed at, "cat," "snowman," "owl." Next he boosted himself up to sit on the counter while I played "Pat-a-cake" with him. Yes, I realize these tactics are things you would usually use for a 3-year-old, but that is what works for Nathan even though he is 16.

The way home was even more cute because he played "Peek-a-boo" with himself in the mirror on the front passenger side visor.  Hilarious! And that was my fun errand with Nathan.

We do get a few strange looks when we go places, but I am just pleased with the fact that we did it without a meltdown or having to bribe him with electronics. With kiddos with autism, sometimes it is the little baby steps that are huge milestones for them.

#takingbabysteps #goingplaces #autism

No comments:

Post a Comment