Thursday, February 12, 2015

Normal Brothers?

"Mom, sometimes I wonder what it would be like to have a normal brother that wasn't autistic," Jordan (17) commented to me a couple of days ago. He elaborated by telling me how fun it would be to be able to go on a double-date with his brother Nathan, or sing with him in choir or hang out with him in a normal teenager sort of way.

Jordan has always had such a tender heart and has always shown such love to his brothers. Sometimes I wonder if he would have been that way if he had "normal" brothers or if having two brothers on the spectrum helped him become more sensitive and loving. I'm not sure I have the answer, but I'm sure God sent Jordan first because He knew Jordan would care for and love his brothers no matter what.

I don't know why I always seem to get the "hard" questions, but we talked about it. I reminded Jordan that yes, both of his brothers are on the autism spectrum, but that we need to try to keep an eternal perspective about this.  I reminded him that he will have all eternity to interact with "perfect" and resurrected brothers and that he can "hang" with them forever.

Noelle reminded Jordan that when she got married he would have a "normal" brother...and sometimes my husband acts like Jordan's teenage brother by the teasing and joking that goes on in our home. I'm also not naive enough to think that teenage brothers always get along. So, overall, I am thankful that I have the sweet, loving family that I have. We're not perfect, but we are perfectly "normal" for us.

No comments:

Post a Comment