Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Using Them Bones!


Don't throw those chicken bones away quite yet! For years I have been using chicken and turkey bones/skin to make broth...and it is so delicious compared to the stuff they sell at the store.  You may think, yeah right, Tamara.  I'm not some amazing homemaker that can do stuff like that.  Oh yes you can!  It is so easy!

After having picked a chicken apart, simply take the carcass and place it in a crock pot, cover it with water, add some salt, dehydrated onion & garlic, maybe a few celery sticks (you don't even have to cut them up) and set it on low overnight.  I also frequently add some Lawry's Seasoning salt. The longer your broth simmers, the more delicious it becomes.  When you are done, simply strain it and freeze it in meal size portions.  For example, I have several recipes that call for 3 cups of chicken broth, so I freeze my broth in 3 cup increments (in Freezer Ziploc Bags).  This time of the year I also LOVE to make some soup out of it.

I will include our favorite soup recipe below.  Happy cooking!

Turkey Tortilla Soup/Turkey & Rice Soup (Gluten-free)
(You can make this with Chicken as well and then you can choose if you spoon the broth over either tortilla chips or rice. I double this recipe for my family.)

4 cups of chicken or turkey broth (see above for how to make your own)
1 T dehydrated onion
1/4 tsp dehydrated garlic
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1 (14.5oz) diced tomatoes (can be mexican style)
1 T fresh cilantro (optional)
9 oz cooked, chopped chicken or turkey

Combine all ingredients in a crockpot to simmer 4 hours on low. The soup will be brothy. When ready to serve, crush tortilla chips (or place cooked rice) in the bottom of the bowl and spoon broth over the top.  Garnish with lime and cheddar cheese. 

And YES this is a recipe ALL my kiddos will eat! Yeah!



No comments:

Post a Comment