Monday, February 2, 2015

Super Bowl Monday Morning

You'll probably think we're nuts, but even though my kids are HUGE Patriot fans we didn't watch the Super Bowl yesterday, at yet they are going to school this morning having watched the whole thing. They got up at 4:00 this morning to watch it with their dad (we DVRed it) and had all the Super Bowl snacks (chips and salsa and cheese and cookies) for breakfast.  (Mind you, I was sleeping.)

You are probably wondering WHY?  Well, many years ago my husband decided that for him "keeping the Sabbath day holy" meant no football on Sundays. I admire him for sticking to his decision--especially during the Super Bowl.  So, ever since then he has recorded the Super Bowl and watched it Monday morning before school and work.  Two of my boys are also football fans and they joined him this morning. Last night as they went to bed a little early, my husband commented to me that he was glad that they were doing this "male bonding" with a little lesson attached to it.  I guarantee that 20 years from now they will be telling their kids about Grandpa Anderson and Super Bowl Monday Morning:).

Yesterday was filled with church and talking to grandparents via Facetime, chatting in the living room and joking around, playing a board game or two, doing some family history, eating as a family and having a birthday party.  In a world where things are increasingly tugging on our family time, we have tried to reserve the Sabbath for God and family time.  It has brought us a measure of peace in our busy schedules.

I know different families do things differently, and I think everyone should make their own decisions as to what they feel is right for their family circumstance.  I am simply sharing what is "normal" over here at the the Anderson home and what we have found works for us.  We have always done things a little differently, and it has worked out just fine for our family.

What are some things your family does that is unique and normal for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment