Monday, March 16, 2015

A Little Help with Heavy Burdens

When Nathan was diagnosed with autism I went through many dark nights where I felt the weight of the world of his diagnosis on my shoulders.  It was too heavy to carry all by myself...and I went through a phase when I was mad that God wouldn't heal him, because I knew He could.  What I didn't realize was that this "burden" would make me a stronger, better person as I yoked myself to Jesus.

Yesterday in Sunday School we had a really good discussion about Matt 11:28-30, "Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden and I will give you rest..."  These verses have brought me such peace at several dark and difficult times of my life.  We talked about how there are some actions that we need to take on to yoke ourselves to the Savior:  Come, Take His yoke, and Learn of Me.  I had to go through these steps, humble myself enough to submit to His yoke...and I have found strength and healing and courage to go on.

One thing that was pointed out that I had never noticed before (and I have read and digested these words many, many times).  In verse 29 Jesus says, "for I am meek and lowly in heart."  What does that mean? Why is it in the middle of these verses?  One person commented that to them it meant that Jesus is approachable and that no matter our past or our sins or whatever we have done that He is willing to yoke himself to us and help us carry our load.

Looking back through the years, I am thankful that I got over my anger at God and came unto him.  Christ is very approachable, and I have felt my burden lifted as I have yoked myself to Him.  I doesn't mean that I haven't stumbled a little here or there.  I am just glad I am yoked to someone stronger and wiser than I am.  He has helped me find solutions to problems along the way, helped me shoulder many more burdens, and has even helped calm a storm or two.  God is a good person to have on your side:).

No comments:

Post a Comment