Thursday, March 5, 2015

Slow and Steady



This photo makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.  I can laugh about it now because I am standing there with a very obvious fake smile on my face because we had two kids throwing a tantrum during this family picture.  I want to cry remembering how hard and disheartening some days have been and sometimes still are.

I think what defines us is what we do during hard times.  Do we give up, or do we keep going even though it seems like one step forward and two steps back?  Having two kids on the autism spectrum has truly helped me appreciate the tiny baby steps that my children and I take day after day.  Looking back over the years I can see giant milestones that I passed by keeping my slow and steady pace.

For example, our family can now sit on the front pew at church without having some kid "escape" and run all over chapel with me frantically chasing them.  I can now make a quick stop at a grocery store without some child having a major meltdown.  Things that I thought impossible and improbable just five years ago are now achievable.  For those of you with youngsters that are driving you crazy...keep the faith and keep trudging onward. Slow and steady wins the race.

Maybe now I should try for a family picture with everyone smiling:).

No comments:

Post a Comment