Tuesday, March 3, 2015

A Load of Crap (Literally)

Giving enemas is not on my list of top 10 favorite things to do, but keeping my kids "regular" is.  The other day I had to give Nathan an enema.  It has actually been a couple of years since I have had to do that, which means we have gotten him on to a good "pooping schedule."  As the parent of two kiddos on the autism spectrum, this is actually a common problem.

I have cleaned up more poop in my days than a normal person should ever have to do.  I have cleaned it after it has been smeared on bedding, the walls, the carpet, the couch, the furniture.  Ugh!  It makes me want to gag just thinking back on it.  Potty training a kid with autism doesn't go as smoothly nor as quickly as it does with a typically developing kid.

The key to cleaning up poop is to not breathe through your nose and to mentally tell yourself, "I am NOT cleaning up poop."  I think the same thing applies to vomit...not breathing through your nose and not thinking about what you are doing so that you don't end up contributing to the mess.

So, to all of you parents out there that have ever had to clean up an unsightly mess (where you have to plug your nose), must applaud you!  It is not easy to do, and it has made me EVER so THANKFUL for washing machines and carpet cleaners:).

No comments:

Post a Comment