Thursday, March 26, 2015

My Happy Toes

During our time in Texas a few years ago, I was blessed to find the "Parent Resource Center" that was part of our school district.  I went to several of the classes that they had that taught me how to better parent children with autism and helped me "Problem-solve" some of the issues we were having.

One of the classes I participated in helped us to make personalized books with pictures teaching our son a concept that he needed to learn.  Most kiddos on the autism spectrum are visual learners. Nathan likes to bite his toenails and had gotten several ingrown toenails over the years because of this.  So, I decided to make a book called, "My Happy Toes" to help him understand that he shouldn't bite his toes anymore.

After we did this, my husband made a video of me reading the book to Nathan, because he had found that he really LOVES videos, and they help him learn even more.

This doesn't mean that he never bites his toes anymore...although how a 16-year-old can even get his toes to his mouth still blows my mind.  But, when I do catch him and ask if he wants "mom to clip them," he does let me do it....so we are making progress.

My Happy Toes

No comments:

Post a Comment