Tuesday, April 14, 2015

The Myth of the All-Knowing Mom

As a mom I have my limits. I know that there are times that moms seem to know all the answers, solve all the problems, and could even solve the issue of world peace if needed. I think there is an image of mom as some super-human that can do it all and be it all. I'm sure that is what I thought the job was when I signed up for the job.

The truth is that I do know a lot and have learned even more about mothering and motherhood since I embarked on this journey 17+ years ago. But I also have strengths and weaknesses.

One of the first times I had to face my incapacity as a mother was when Nathan was 2 1/2 years old and still wasn't speaking yet. He had not been diagnosed with autism yet and I had been trying to help him learn to speak for what felt like a LONG time. He qualified for a pre-school by our home, and I really struggled sending him to preschool when I still had our oldest at home with me. BUT, I had realized that I had been trying for a while and maybe there was something a professional could do that I couldn't. At the preschool Nathan got Speech, Occupational and Physical Therapy--services that helped him begin taking some baby steps in the right direction. I am glad now that I swallowed my pride and helped my son get the help he needed.

My philosophy on motherhood is now this: It takes a village to raise a child. I am thankful for soccer coaches, teachers, therapists, friends and even math tutors that have helped me fill the roles where I am not strong. I realized I don't have to be a pro in EVERYTHING, and it is comforting to know that.

I think the BIG secret is that as we work together we are stronger! Thanks to all of you who have loved and helped my children along the way. They are better and stronger because of you. And a special shout-out to God for being the best and only All-Knowing and Best Parent! He has helped me with my kids when I didn't know where else to turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment