Friday, May 6, 2016

Picking Classes

I'm sitting here looking at blank spots in Nathan's 11th grade schedule wondering what I'm supposed to fill in the blanks. It's not like I'd get a response if I asked him--autism is like that. His ability to communicate verbally is very minimal. Even if I wrote it down, I don't think he'd know what to pick. There are lots of "regular classes" that I know he wouldn't like or enjoy.

He is supposed to take "Health" next year--ridiculous, right? That makes me laugh. I'm sure he can sit through it though--poor, bored child. Sometimes I just want to say, "He is in functional skills class for a reason." He isn't meant to be in regular ed classes. He doesn't learn like normal kids. It is like trying to shove a round peg in a square hole. Sitting him in Health is like sitting me in an Algebra class taught in Chinese. I wouldn't learn a thing and would be pretty bored--and I'm sure Nathan will be too.

Picking classes for my other kids is hard because they have like 20 things they want to do and only 2 spots. Then there is Nathan. Regular classes just don't work for him. He is unique and special and has different things he enjoys and does.

Sigh! Oh well. I emailed his teacher and she said she'd fill in the rest because he is a hard one to pick classes for. Whew!
#PickingClasses

No comments:

Post a Comment